Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Happy Fool's Day

Today's lesson: April Fools' Day or All Fools' Day.

Though not a holiday, is a notable day celebrated in many countries on April 1. The day is marked by the commission of practical jokes and hoaxes on friends, enemies and neighbors, or sending them on fool's errands, the aim, of course to embarrass the gullible. Traditionally, in some countries, the jokes only last until noon. If you play a trick on someone after this time you are the April Fool.

Years ago my co-worker and I decided we would play an April Fool's Joke on our boss. He had a large diary type calendar on his desk at the time and before he got to work, we penciled in "fake" appointments. We picked his worst client's and put them about every hour. We also put in a lunch with someone who drove him CRAZY. Then we sat and waited.......and waited.......and waited. Then we heard the crabbing and then he got FURIOUS. By this point our other boss and the two of us were heads down laughing at our desks. We found out that day that he just couldn't take a joke!!! Now each year on this day I ask him how his calendar looks.....at least now he smiles.

One year my mom put salt in the sugar dish...of course horrible...but funnier was she forgot to change the container back to sugar and my gram made a rubarb pie using it. My mom loved rubarb pie and the last laugh was on her!

Anyone out there ever played a joke or had one played on them?

Oh, almost forgot....class dismissed....

4 comments:

kristie said...

no, i've never played a joke on april fool's day. that's funny about your mom and the sugar dish - guess the last laugh was on her!

Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

Both of those jokes are so funny. I can see me forgetting to change the salt back to sugar - LOL!

Pam said...

We usually play pranks on a co-worker of mine but it doesn't have to April Fool's Day for that. lol!

I did get gotten one year though...
There is this regional show that airs at certain times of the day around the local news that features heritage of the area, history, etc. Anyway, there was a show a couple years ago where they were claiming that some guy was suing the program because he had a cable program with a similar name. This local program has been on the air for over 20 years and now this person is suing! I couldn't wrap my head around it and just sat watching the episode stunned. He ended the program by saying they wouldn't be making any more. I was just shaking my head. I totally forgot it was April Fool's Day and when the "april fools" thing came upon the screen, I was both embarrassed AND relived. The husband had already seen it and totally set me up though. He told me I just HAD to see that episode. grrr.
We've been watching the April Fool's episodes ever since but none has been as good as the one that got me.

The Devil Dog said...

Mom doesn't like most practical jokes, some of them are just plain mean. But the boss one sounds funny. Too bad he couldn't take a joke.

Roxy

Ps we were in England today, playing blog hopping with a whole bunch of kitties.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails