Monday, October 23, 2006

Monday, Monday...can't trust that day...

Part One -

Okay, so I got up this morning promising myself...NO MORE TEARS.

Hubby...."so honey, do you miss R?".......
Me...."sob, sob, sob"
Hubby...."he'll be back, don't worry"
Me...."I'm not crying because he's 23 and moved out, I'm crying because he's not 6 anymore, sob, sob, sob"
Hubby..."oh, well, um, well, I, um"

Later today...after R called me twice and hubby once...

Hubby..."I talked to R"
Me...."yeah, me too, and I'm not crying anymore!"
Hubby..."well, I told him about you this morning, then I told him after you left for work I went into the bathroom and cried too!"
Me.."guess it's not just PMS"

Part Two -

Meantime, I had the telephone call yesterday afternoon about someone wanting help placing (yeah, right...getting rid of) their 7 1/2 year old Pug. Seems he has nipped/bitten their 3 year old son. After much discussion I found out...they are his 4th home, previously he was fostered due to owner relocating (guess he wasn't good enough to go along),they have 3 sons, 3, 5, and 7, he's vocal, likes other dogs, loving to humans, growled once at another dog when that dog tried to steal his ice cream. So...here I go again. I know I need to get him out of there asap. I call Central NY Pug Rescue (friends of our Pug group) and holler help....I mean if he's a biter I need a home with NO small children. I spend a lot of time on the phone and emails arranging how it will all happen...and so I leave work at 4:30 pm, meet the woman halfway between her work and my office....15 miles away. I discover he is a beautiful black male Pug. He gets into my car and when we drive away...frantically looks at their car leaving, my heart breaks for him. He noses around my car and sits in the passenger seat like it was made for him. He is a wonderful car companion. Not a sound out of him...just a few little soft Puggy noises. About 20 minutes into the drive, he decides maybe he'd like my lap. I have a serious talk with myself about saying forget the rescue drop I'm taking him HOME WITH ME. One of my Puggy friends calls, maybe she has a home for him and he won't have to go to a foster home, no luck there, I continue my drive, he comes over and settles into my lap...oh darn. He looks at me, I cry again, yep I actually have some tears left...imagine that. I drive on my daughter calls..."what are you doing?", I respond driving a Pug..."WHAT MOM WE CAN'T HAVE ANOTHER DOG!!!!" "Relax, I'm taking him to Central NY Pug Rescue"...then I add, when everyone has moved from MY house, I'm going to have TEN PUGS and NO ONE is going to be able to tell me NO!!!! Her response "are they going to use my room?" I drive on. I am practically in love with this little man....I talk to another friend, I press on. Did I mention it was a long drive? I arrive at our meeting point and we are early. I give him a couple of treats and walk him around to do potty. We settle back in the car and wait. They arrive and he is NOT happy. He barks at the husband (wow first time he has barked), he moves back off my lap into passenger seat and DOES NOT WANT TO GET OUT! Great....I'm crying again. The wife gets back into their van and I get out with him. I have to force him into her lap, she offers a treat, he won't take it. She tells me not to worry she'll be able to place him just fine. I surrender his bed, blankets and toy. I give a quick hug them and jump in my car and drive off. I decide I am NOT GOOD at rescues. I get home at 9:00 pm. I have driven 184 miles and have given myself a big headache. I come into the house and my 3 crazy girls greet me!

PS - If that little guy doesn't have a home in a week, I'm going to drive back and get him! Shhhh, don't tell my family!

9 comments:

Kara (Turskey) Vaught said...

He'll find a good home - thank you for doing that even though it's so hard!

Sandy said...

Punchy...you have pugs in your heart!!It's so hard not to keep them all. I sure hope the little guy finds his forever home. Wow, that was quite a drive, too.

Leah said...

So, so sad--I can't imagine how the poor little guy's life has been. I wish we were there--I would love to have a black pug. Let us know what happens!

Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

You're such a nice lady. I hope that Pug finds his forever home this time.

Jo Jo said...

I'm backing you up 100%, sounds like he found love in you within a few minutes, i'd totally go back and get him in a week, your secret is safe with us :) Sounds like your having a rough week, but you have great support from your husband and daughter i'm sure, just keep pushin' on :) We're all here for you :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Punchy......you are such a godsend to pugs. Maybe in a week if he still needs a home he may be that male you were speaking of.

♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ said...

Heck why wait a week! you know you want him...and we all would like to see him with you! you would be a perfect forever home for him! Besides the girls would love to have a big brother.
I agree I would do anything to rescue a pug..But I am a softy...I would have a pug farm here! It would be sad to see them go but yet happy to have them placed in a nice home...Bittersweet

Anonymous said...

They should have got rid of the KID and KEPT the PUG!!

I couldnt do rescues either, Id have to keep them all. I used to steal the puppy from the lady up the road when I was a kid, she got sick of coming to our house to get her & said we could keep her :)

Punchbugpug said...

Thanks for all the nice comments! I haven't heard how he is doing, so I guess things must be okay!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails