Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day Weekend Recap...stop and smell the lilacs

Phew, what a weekend! I have to say that this was my best Mother's Day in a very, very long time. After my mom and both grammies died within 12 months, Mother's Day has been a sad time for me. I know I was blessed with my own two beautiful children, so that made me a Mother's Day recipient, but it just wasn't the same having those beautiful women gone from my life. Over the past 5 years I have learned to avoid card stores. So anyhow, something changed this year. I guess I put my grief away in a little box next to my heart.

Friday night we met my BIL and SIL at the Country Club for dinner. Beautiful setting, great food and tons of laughs. I did take my camera along and tried to photograph my food like Sandy at raguspug.blogspot.com, but quite honestly the food was coming TOO fast and I was eatting TOO much!!!!! Let's just say there were stuffed clams and coconut shrimp on the appetizer bar, the salad bar was dee-licious and the fish was the best I have had in a long time. They removed that ugly skin prior to frying...yummy!!!!! I took half mine home and ate it from breakfast Saturday morning.

Saturday - Got up and made another attempt at the mountain of mulch in the front driveway. I think someone is secretly dumping more mulch there each evening after I go to bed! Mulched the beds in front of our carriage house that we rent out and weeded around my patio garden. We then decided to drive to SIL and BIL to pick up the row boat she was giving us. I love rowing...love it. We do have a power boat, but I wanted something to just row around with the girls. So we hooked the trailor up and took off for the drive. They live on one of the Finger Lakes...get out your NYS maps. It is around 40 minutes from our house. Hubby had not told them I was coming along, so my SIL was thrilled to see me. We have such fun and laughs together. We helped them take the bunk beds from their upstairs to their finished over barn and loaded the row boat onto the trailor. They threw in oars (for me) and a 10 horse motor (for hubby). While there she gave me a complete new ensemble for my king size bed and a HUGE stuffed Pug. She has decided that since this coming birthday for me is a special number (UGH!!!!) that I should celebrate continuously! She has also planned a weekend at the Jersey shore for the four of us in June! She is probably the best SIL anyone could have. We went out to dinner, again, and I did not have my camera. This time dinner was Eggplant Parm..yummy!!!!

Sunday, I got up and my furry girls posed for me on the back staircase....



Aren't they the sweetest!!!




These were waiting for me....





Wow, great gifts...



Yep, right down to the matching shoes! There was also a cardigan and two yummy smelling candles. My daughter gave me a certificate for a pedicure and manicure...wow I am the spoiled one!




Then off to breakfast with my dad, hubby and son. After that we went to the Lilac Festival which is held here in Rochester. Check out www.lilacfestival.com
The Lilacs were exceptionally beautiful this year. It is amazing to look over the park and see Lilacs EVERYWHERE. All shades of purple, blue, white and even yellow!

I leave you with these.............
Can't you just smell them?



5 comments:

♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend/Mothers Day.....Oh My a Lilac Festival???? Oh I love Lilacs, We had a Lilac bush at our old house right out side our bathroom window and it would smell so nice while it was blossomed. I miss my Lilac tree.....

Dave said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I hope the girls have fun in the rowboat. Pyrite enjoys the paddle boat at D's parent's house-- not as much as their dog Blaze who is quite upset if you go without her.

The lilacs are lovely. mmmmm I can just about smell them from memory.

Cheers

Pugley said...

Lilac festival? OMG I'm soooo jealous! I love love love lilacs! They're my favorite flower. How nice would a whole festival dedicated to lilacs be? Wow!

Sandy said...

What a great weekend for you! Yummy food and presents...doesn't get better. The picture of the girls at the top of the stairs is so cute. Eggplant is one of my favorite foods when it's cooked...especially with a sauce over it or better yet, fried with sauce over it.

We don't have lilacs here and I don't think I've ever seen one or smelled one in my life. I am curious because all of you up north talk about how wonderful they smell. And I can see how beautiful they are. I might have to ask my florist friend if he can get some stems so I can enjoy them.

Punchbugpug said...

Yes, it was a nice weekend. The Lilac Festival here is a HUGE thing. People travel from all over to view the lilacs. We are lucky enough to have several beautiful bushes in our yard, but there is nothing like looking at an entire hillside of them! I believe it was customary years ago to plant a lilac bush next to your front door. The fragrance is very unique. I find the perfume a little overwhelming, and due to allergies can't stick my nose right in the bushes, but when it is breezy and that soft smell comes in the window....nice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails