Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Different Kind of Tour

Last night P, C, her friend and I went on the *MtHopeCemeteryLuminaryTour*. I have always been intrigued by cemetary's. The Victorian's had an interesting outlook concerning death and due to disease, childbirth, war, were subjected to death of loved ones at early ages. The rich purchased large family plots for their families to be together in their final sleep. I wish I had a better camera as the night time look with the torches burning was fascinating. I'm sure it could have been spooky had there not been around 500 people milling about on the tours and waiting!

C and her friend pose form me! Look at the size of that tree trunk! There are also MANY unique trees here. Lots dating back to the 1800's.


The tour covered only a brief area of this place. The cemetery itself is 196 acres!!!! There are over 370,000 people buried here and it dates back to 1838. There are 14 1/2 miles of roadways and honestly a very, very cool place to visit! My own great-grandfather is buried here as are P's great-grandparents. The cemetery has many masoleum's and ornate family tributes. I know now that on past "visits" I covered only a very small portion of this place!
This bronze dog actually rested outside one masoleum. He was stolen in the 80's and a random call came in years later telling of his location. It was decided that he would relax inside to prevent another taking. He was actual size and HEAVY. Can you imagine the goings on to take him????
A couple of interesting notables buried here, besides my great-grandfather, are: Susan B. Anthony - ladies we have the vote due to her diligence and Frederick Douglas - escaped slave who became the country's renowned leader of the anti-slavery movement.
We actually joined theFriendsofMtHope last night. I'm always looking for something to do with my free time! HAHA Funny, eh? Actually, I love the feeling of the place and think it would be great to volunteer some time. The FOMH raise money to preserve and restore within the cemetery. I'd love to eventually become a tour-giver and I'd love to do mine in actual Victorian dress! Wonder how P would feel about that???




8 comments:

C.l.o.v.e.r. said...

That sounds awesome! You guys are always doing such fun stuff - thanks for the mini tour!! :)
xo

Nevis said...

Sounds like a very coool tour! I would love to go on something like that....I love cemetaries!

kristie said...

that sounds like an interesting tour and what a HUGE cemetery! i cannot wait to see you in your victorian attire...

Archie and Melissa said...

what a fun tour!
we did something like that here in boulder a few years ago and it was so much fun!

your photos are great!

:) melissa

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!

Pam said...

Oh wow, that sounds like a really neat cemetary. I've always found cemetary's interesting. I can SO see you doing a tour. That would be so fun!! You should go for it!

Swampgirl said...

I wonder if some of my ancestors are buried there? I'm going to look in my records. I know some of the Sharp family was buried in your neck of the woods!

The Devil Dog said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. We would love to see you in Victorian garb.

Roxy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails